When it comes to solar power we tend to think of the sun as a giant power plant in the sky as it can fulfil the energy needs of the world many times over. The sun’s energy doesn’t give off any nasty emissions. It won’t run out. And the best part is that it’s free.
When looking to install a solar energy system for your home, it is important that you have a understanding of how renewable energy works.
The easy answer is that our solar panels capture energy from the sun, this then gets channelled into your inverter, where it’s converted into electricity for your home.
While, on the surface, this may seem like a complicated and overwhelming process, the steps taken to convert the sun’s rays into energy for your home are simple. Below are the five key components of a solar system, and how each part converts solar energy into electricity for your home.
- Solar Panels: If your panels are successfully installed, they convert the sun’s rays into direct current electricity. Solar panels consist of photovoltaic cells. Your panels are then placed on the roof of your home to ensure direct sunlight absorption and optimal use.
- Inverter: When the sun hits your solar panels, and this is then converted into direct current electricity. This electricity flows through your inverter where it is converted into alternating current power. This is the electricity that will power your home.
- Electrical Panel: Once received from the inverter, the alternating current (AC) power is then sent to an electrical panel.
- Utility Meter: Otherwise known as a net energy meter. The utility meter helps keep track of how much solar energy your home is producing throughout the day. When your home is generating more power than you’re using, the meter will then send that power to the utility grid, therefore offsetting the energy you use at night.
- Utility Grid: Your household or business will still be connected to the utility grid because it will need to draw power from it at night. However, the cost of using the grid’s electricity is offset by the amount of energy you put into it during the day.
At First Choice Home Improvements we can help you understand this relatively new energy system. We aim to get more South Australians to adopt sustainable energy. We have served hundreds of homeowners as well as South Australian businesses.
Our in house solar specialists will be with you every step of the way, from design through to sorting out your Government rebates. We aim to change the way our customer’s view renewable energy, by showing our clients the benefits of switching to solar for you and the environment.
If you’re ready to make the change to solar power, don’t hesitate to contact First Choice Home Improvements today!